Italian Sausage Pizza Burger
So Pizza Friday is basically a rule at my house. In some fashion, we are having pizza on Friday. Sometimes we make pizza, sometimes we have Stromboli filled with many meats, and sometimes the dirty dishes have overflowed the kitchen and we go out for pizza. It is easy to plan, fun to look forward to, and honestly helps limit us (my husband) away from pizza every day.
My husband considers Pizza a meat delivery device. And in many instances, I agree. I especially agree with this pizza inspired burger. This burger combines some of my favorite things: Pork, basil, and pizza. Really though, can you truly go wrong combining a warm loaf of Ciabatta bread, a quick tomato marinara, juicy Italian sausage (burgers), lots of melty provolone cheese, and an awesome basil pesto! I don’t think so! This sounds (and is) so yummy!!!
Burgers do sometimes have a short-falling in flavor if you forget to season the burger meat. I make this burger easy, basically because Fridays are meant for winding down from a busy week. I love my cheat: I use store bought Italian Sausage links and reshape the links into burger patties!
Overall, this is such a simple recipe for a Friday night! The basil pesto can be made ahead of time. My standard basil pesto recipe is 2x what you need for this set of burgers. Plus, I almost always have extra pesto saved in my freezer in silicone ice cube trays. The sausage is a snap. The bread I use is a ‘take and bake’ variety from the grocery store (which I buy on sale, freeze, then bake from frozen for a few minutes longer than the package suggests). And the sauce I show you how to make is at least double what you will actually need.
So short story, if you make everything fresh this Friday, then you will have extras of both the basil pesto and the quick marinara sauce ready in the freezer for next Friday!
Italian Sausage Pizza Burgers
- Ciabatta Bread (I use ‘take and bake’)
- Basil Pesto (need 1/2 batch)
- Quick Tomato Marina Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Onion, 1/2 cup small diced/mandoline shredder
- Basil (stem scraps from pesto work well!)
- 14.5 ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- Salt for taste
- 1 pound Italian Sausage (links, casing removed, reshaped into patties)
- 6 ounce Cheese, Sliced Provolone or Mozzarella
- Make basil pesto using this recipe, or thaw your previously frozen basil pesto.
- Make the Quick Tomato Sauce
- Prep the onions and basil
- Add olive oil and onions to sauce pan. Cook to soften, slight browning OK
- Add basil stems (or chiffonade basil leaves if no stems available) and canned crushed tomatoes. Stir and cook five ish minutes.
- Bake bread (if using ‘take and bake’ ciabatta)
- Remove Italian sausage from the casing. Discard casing. Reform the sausage meat into burger patties.
- Cook sausage patties thoroughly
- I suggest bottom bun, tomato marinara, Italian sausage burger patties, cheese, pesto, top bun
I really hope this recipe helps feed many happy bellies at your home! I would love to hear your success stories and comments!
Do you want my new recipe posts sent directly to your inbox? Please subscribe!